Friday, December 5, 2008

Taking the W&OD back home to DC

I got the great idea in my head last week to bike home from falls church, va.  I knew there were bke trails that went most of the way, but I ended up with a longer ride than I had planned.  I got on the trail, knowing it was called the W&OD (Washington & Old Dominion) and started cranking away, keeping up a nice pace.  What I didn't realize was that I went off course about a mile and a half into the ride.  When I arrived at mile 5, I knew I had messed up, but I had come downhill for the past four miles and wasn't ready to track back.  I knew I was still heading east, so I forged on.  Shirlington Rd is NOT fun to bike on, and when I hit Glebe Rd, I knew I was a bit hosed. 

 Luckily there was a motel on the corner that had Arlington Bike Maps.  I quickly got my bearings and forged on, realizing that I'd have to take a small detour around Regan National Airport.  The ride ended up being about 15 miles, and my toes were mighty cold.  It started snowing right as I began to pass the airport, and I almomst got blown off the  George Mason Memorial Bridge.  But not so bad for getting lost.

Just yesterday I attempted to make the trip again, this time following the correct path.  It's a nice ride, and took me less than an hour to get home.  The sun was out and I only needed one layer underneath my windbreaker.  
I think next time though, I'll try to cross the Potomac a little farther south, at the Arlington Memorial Bridge to avoid all the traffic on Virginia Ave, and the unfortunate wrong way merge into Constitution.  

Here's the two maps superimposed on each other so you can get an idea of how far out of my way I went.  The top route is the proper way.


1 comment:

Karmical Kim said...

Cool maps! Your dad must be proud.