Friday, October 24, 2008

20 miles in....

After shipping all my stuff out here and having it live in a few guestrooms, garages, and basements (thanks to all!) The one thing I was really excited about was getting back on my bike again. I'm sure I bored you to tears about it before I left SF, and there are pics on FB if you want to see them, but I did my bike ride around the bay, felt pretty inspired, and wanted to make sure that biking wasn't something I just did in California. Selling my car before i left helped a lot.
When I finally unpacked my bike, i found that i was missing a pedal, my brand new allen wrench set, and the bolt that keeps your handlebars on your frame. After replacing these from the local branch of performance bikes, just before closing, i rode my bike to the metro, and once again had my own personal city transportation. It was about 20 miles in to biking in DC that I really felt a sense of freedom and belonging. I have always felt free on my bike. It never fails to put a smile on my face, and running some errands up in Columbia Heights, through the twilight of rush hour traffic I felt the exhilaration that comes with the freedom and danger of urban cycling that I have come to love over the years.

1 comment:

Incident Alice said...

That's so nice that you've gotten your bike in working order again. Mine's still missing parts until I find away to pay for them...!